The Navarra D.O. wine region is located in the north of Spain, between the Pyrenees and the Ebro River Valley - with its main city of Pamplona. A feature of the (Designation of Origin) D.O. Navarra wine area - is the extraordinary diversity of its climate and landscape which spread across more than 100 kilometres. The regions proximity of the Bay of Biscay in the north and the temperate influence of the Ebro River plain to the south.
The soils within the D.O. Navarra are mainly calcareous and limestone, deep and with variable fine stone texture and fertility, and a medium to light consistency and very healthy. A phenomenon which gives rise to the wealth and wide array of wines produced under D.O. Navarra; from robust, deep reds to fresh, elegant whites, along with vibrant rosé wines which have always been the region’s hallmark.


The D.O. Navarra protects the vineyards and wines of 95 towns exclusively. In 2015, D.O. Navarra celebrated its 80th anniversary, making it one of the oldest appellations in Spain. However, the region’s winemaking history goes back much further as records of vine viticulture and winemaking date from the Roman period.
At the end of the 19th century, the Navarra wine industry was enjoying great prosperity - however, when the phylloxera plague struck, it left only 1500 hectares of vines untouched from the region’s total of 50,000ha. Today Navarra has approximately 11,700ha of vines from where more than a hundred bodegas grow their precious grapes.
The tremendous diversity is the result of the 5 distinct wine regions which make up the appellation: ‘Baja Montaña’, ‘Tierra Estella’, ‘Valdizarbe’, ‘Ribera Alta’, and ‘Ribera Baja’. Rainfall, soil composition and relief generate a mosaic of micro-climates which, in turn, determine the grape varietals which adapt best to each region.
In the 1980’s, non-indigenous varietals were introduced such as the Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. These varietals started to be grown alongside the native Viura, Garnacha and Tempranillo - the latter being the most widely grown and most popular varietal in the region - (with around 6800ha - approx 35% of total planted area in the region).
The majority of the regions vineyards (more than 70%) are planted with native varietals. Approximately 90% of the grapes grown in Navarra are red, while the remaining 10% being white varietals. Grape varietals endorsed by the regions appellation, from most planted to least are: Tempranillo, Garnacha Tinta, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Graciano, Mazuelo, Syrah, and Pinot Noir in red varietals. Chardonnay, Viura, Moscatel de Grano Menudo, Sauvignon Blanc, Malvasía, and Garnacha Blanca in white varietals.